Sunday, January 2, 2011

True Grit

As the credits started rolling after True Grit was ending I turned to my husband and said- "Good... but not as good as I thought it would be." I always view my end credit gut reaction as the best impression/review of a movie.



The best of anything in this movie is definitely the incredible performance by Hailee Steinfeld. She plays a 14 year old girl named Mattie who hires a bounty hunter Rooster (played by Jeff Bridges) to hunt down the man who killed her father. (played by Josh Brolin) All the other actors are good but Mattie definitely steals the show. This girl is steely, bound and determined. She is not your cute and cuddly teenager for sure! I have a special fondness for a movie where the girl character is kick ass... although she kicks ass more verbally than physically...

Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld

The only time where my attention wavered from Mattie was when Barry Pepper's character (Lucky Ned Pepper) came onto the screen. At this point I was a little confused on why he was there and who he was (mostly because I could hardly understand a word Jeff Bridges was saying...) but who cares because Barry Pepper is so darn good! Wished there was more screen time for him.

Hailee with Barry Pepper

I love the western genre, I just love the idea of olden times, whores, saloons and cowboys. I would add True Grit to my dvd collection, but I wouldn't run out to Target on the Tuesday it came out and pay $30 bucks for the blu-ray special addition. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment